Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The epitome of autumn

On Sunday Finn and I went up to my parent's house which is only a 20 minute drive out of town, but feels a world away. I would give anything to live in the country again.

We were only going to stay for supper but ended up staying the night. My favourite Sunday night rituals take place at my parent's house. Mom is in the kitchen cooking some sort of gigantic roast or ham or chicken, with lots of veggies and nice crusty bread. This time of year she'll light a candle that smells like pumpkin or apples and it fills the whole house. Dad lights a fire and watches football. Then when supper is ready we eat in the dining room with candles lit. This Sunday my Mom made squash with butter and cinnammon - my favourite. Then everyone helps clear and we watch 60 Minutes and eat whatever dessert my mom got, usually pie and ice cream.

On Monday since Finn didn't have to work we spent the day helping my Dad load firewood in to the old tack room and then took the dogs for a long walk on the trail through the forest behind the house. My parent's moved to this new house in April and everyone was quite sad that we wouldn't have 100 acres of farmland to wander, plus the conservation area directly behind us. Now they only have 24 acres with a bit of a forest in back, but yesterday Finn and I discovered that it is actually more beautiful back there than at the old house. We couldn't get to it before because the grass in the field behind the house was so long, but my Dad took the tractor to it. The trail isn't as long, but it's perfect for taking the horses on, or for a nice walk. And this time of year the leaves are so beautiful it catches my breath. These pictures don't even remotely do the landscape justice.















It was nice to find out that we can still continue our Christmas day tradition of eating breakfast and taking a walk. Especially since the last few Christmas' have been so sunny, it's always so beautiful in the woods.

No comments: