Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Emotional unbalance

It's becoming clearer and clearer to me that I need to stop putting so much value on other's opinions. I was in sucha great mood when I got back from my interview yesterday, but that was blown to smithereens by my father's opinion of my situtation. He called me to see how it went and as soon as I told him it was only part time, he turned negative and reminded me how I can't live on $9/h, how I need something full time, how things were only going to get harder for me and I should be calling my uncle to see if he could get me a factory job. Then he went on a big tangent about how I ought to be going to school to get a license in hair styling because, "even in a recession people still need to get thier hair cut."

Well. My good mood vanished and suddenly I was taking on his opinions as my own. Just assuming he was right. Finn came home and asked me how it went and I found myself saying I hoped they wouldn't call me because it would just be a waste of time. Argh! Two hours earlier I was on cloud nine! And I do want this job. I know I do this all the time with my Dad. I think it's part of our kid-parent relationship where I just assume that he knows whats best. But I am twenty-five years old now. I don't live with my parents, I am not depending on them financially. Dad's opinion is just that - an opinion. I know I do it with other people too, and it's something I need to start really working on. My thoughts and feelings have value, regardless of what others think of them.

I think it's an authority figure thing. I am a people pleaser, especially when it comes to authority figures. I need to stop it.

No comments: